Monday, January 9, 2012

Treading Water Is For Fishes.

Some time ago I had a disturbing dream.
You know the kind.
I'm in the ocean with no help in sight.
I'd tread water for hours unable to decide which direction to take.
What was the shortest distance to land?
Were their sharks in one direction and rip tides in another?
I made no progress because I feared making the wrong choice.

Inspiration hit.

Any direction is preferable to floating around going no where.
I said, "Duh!"
Really.

The only wrong choice was no choice.
Acting a coward and fear of messing up had immobilized me.

Not good.

Intuition whispered each direction brought me to a different place,
with different lessons along the way.
None were wrong.

Of course I know this, but I needed reminding.
I needed to commit and move in that direction.
Action.

This dream came when I struggled to define my self as a writer.
What genre?
Novel length or novella?
The point was to choose something and go for it.
Swim my guts out in that direction and
if it didn't work out, choose again.

Isn't life grand?
We have a myriad of choices at any moment.
We are in control and can change our minds.
But we have to start.

If I did nothing but continue to tread water, what would happen?
In time I'd tire and sink like a stone.
I'd become fish food and no one would know I'd ever tried anything.
I would have failed my self and the world.

I know that sounds harsh,
but we are each unique and bring with us remarkable gifts.
Only you can write your story.
Only you can be that needed friend and love the way you do.

You are a blessing.
It's time to swim and bring your special talents to the shore.

Take out your journal and answer these questions:


Where in your life are you treading water?
Take time to answer this in at least three areas.

What has you afraid? Why?

If you continue to float aimlessly what will happen?

Is that better than taking the risk, committing to a direction and swimming hard?

What is your gut telling you?

Tackle the first of the three areas this week.
It's all right to be afraid, but act.

You can do it!

Please share your wisdom with the rest of us.

8 comments:

  1. A fantastic euphemism for the tired rut I for one slip into far too easily where the hell I know vs the fear of the unknown holds me paralyzed. My cure is a good old fashioned pity party and a private game of 'worse case scenario' (I can imagine some pretty scary albeit far-fetched stuff). Much easier to face the real difficulties in breaking through the rut with some gratetude and a positive perspective.
    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to know the meaning of a dream where you are about to enter a large body of water with no land in sight. You enter the water. You can't help it. What does that mean?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are BRILLIANT!!! You don't know how much I needed to read this. Thanks, Sandy!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing the subtle ways our subconscious works. Great post and lesson. Hate it when you kick my butt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent advice, Sandy. I find myself sitting with the laptop on, ready to go and then I sit there and do nothing. It's these days I have to push myself to write something, anything, to move past that current to smoother water. Thanks for clarifying my problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we all have periods of inertia. Thanks for the reminder that doing something is bettr than doing nothing.

    Sandy B

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very inspiring Sandy, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did and you know what? That feeling of accomplishment...I'm not so certain my leap of choice lead me to land. Thanks for reminding me to not think things to death! :) Great post.

    ReplyDelete