Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life Is Great, Unless...

 Not if you're just going through the motions and dragging your sorry hiney around. It may be that you lack something to look forward to.
This is not a lesson on gratitude, though being grateful is important. We're talking about creating something that brings the energy of anticipation into your life. Do you recall being a kid, counting down  until the last day of school, and the warm air of summer freed you to sleeping in, bike rides with friends, gabbing to all hours, and  staying up late just because you could? Ah, the elusive joy of youth.
Get a grip.
Being young has little to do with it. It's the joy created by anticipation. Life was an exhilarating adventure because you made it so. Time to get serious about living and have some fun.
If you look at your week and your biggest thrill is falling into bed, something is wrong. It doesn't have to be that way. Everything is a choice. Choose to enjoy living. Choose to create something to look forward to daily. 
Here it is. Write a list of 20 things that you enjoy. Things you can plan to do that will put that spring in your step. Anticipate them and watch a grin spread over your face.
Here are some ideas:
Call a friend.
Enjoy a bottle of wine and watch the sunset.
Make love.
Meet friends for lunch.
Hug someone.
Read to a child.
 Meditate.
Watch an old movie with your buddies or your lover and munch popcorn.
Ride your bike, your Harley or hike.
Sign up for a class you've been longing to take, watercolor, Martial arts, cooking, survival training. Whatever!
Pass out candy at work or buy flowers.
Maybe make Wednesday your special breakfast or coffee treat morning. Thursday you have Tai Chi, Friday it's dinner with friends or your sweety. Everyday needs to have something to look forward to.
Write your list in your journal and start implementing it. Jot down how you feel adding things to anticipate. Plan for something special every week and at the end of the month or year.
We love vacations in part, because we get juiced up anticipating them.

This week, I'm anticipating time with my grand-daughter. What about you?

13 comments:

  1. Isn't this the truth? Anticipation... I'm planning my RWA trip next week with delicious expectations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely way to look at life and you are so very right. We could lie on the grass like we did as kids and look at the clouds. We just choose not to do that stuff anymore because we're adults. Harrumph! We all need something to look forward to whether it's big or small or quiet or loud or whatever. And planning it will make it happen. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy,

    Thanks for this great post. We just returned from a soccer tournament where we hung out with a team of 14 year old girls and their enthusiasm was inspiring. I found myself wondering how to find that zest for life that I used to have, and your list was a great starting point. Made me smile. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great inspirational post. Have a great week with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anticipation... you are so right. Thank you so much for this wonderful post and reminding me that it's important to let my inner child out.

    Have a great time with your granddaughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Me, too! We're picking her up tomorrow and then going to our family reunion this weekend. There is always something good to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah! Summer vacations. They're shorter for me now than when I was in school, but I look forward to them like crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the enthusiasm of you girls.
    I anticipate reading your comments. Thanks for giving me one more thing to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After an inspiring conversation with some great friends at lunch this weekend, I'm looking forward to picking up my bokken and practicing some kata again. Thanks Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In one more week, my daughter returns from 5 months away in China. Finally, my chick flick buddy will be back. Thanks for the timely reminder, I was half way to a pity party for one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still love to lay out, or sit, and star gaze. I enjoy cloud animals with oldest granddaughter. We're buying house this week and I'm totally hyped about getting it ready for move in!

    Thanks Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun idea! I'm going to write an anticipation list today. You are brilliant, just saying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post, Sandy. I often get so caught up in 'getting things done' that I don't enjoy or even notice the 'doing'. I remember going on a road trip with my husband long ago and he took the 'scenic route' (which I learned he would always do). I grumbled because I wanted to get where we were going. We had limited time, after all. His reply was for me to learn to enjoy the journey. Your post reminds me of that sage advice. Thanks for another great post.

    ReplyDelete